Founded as Taichung Healthcare and Management University in 2001, Asia University, as it has been known since 2005, is ofte considered among most prestigious higher education institutions in Taiwan. It is based around 10km south of Taichung city centre. It performs well compared to other universities throughout Asia and of a similar age. Among other things, AU has been praised for its research output and teaching excellence.
A port city with rare temples, classic cafés and teahouses, and a lower cost of living than many others in Taiwan, Taichung’s economic growth has partly been driven by its successful shoe-making and light industries. It is Taiwan’s third biggest city in terms of population and receives less rainfall than Taipei and Kaohsiung. AU’s campus buildings are renowned in Taiwan for their green credentials and award-winning architecture, which is often Greek or Roman-inspired. AU also owns the Asia Museum of Modern Art, a city landmark on campus with a distinctive triangular structure designed by famous Japanese architect Tadao Ando, an AU alumnus. It contains several permanent exhibitions and hosts a range of events.
Giant artworks are also scattered across the rest of the campus. Taiwan is a growing study destination for foreign students, and given that those at AU are guaranteed to live in modern dormitories and have access to its new-build facilities, including a Colosseum-inspired gymnasium, and 100-plus student clubs. The university hopes to attract more high-quality students from overseas in the future, demonstrating a strong commitment to internationalisation.
a. Nationality: To be eligible to apply, applicants must qualify for legal international student status of the Ministry of Education's "Regulations Regarding International Students Undertaking Studies in Taiwan”, (For article content, please see the appendix) and never once held the status of Overseas Chinese Student before at the point of application.
b. Academic Qualifications: International students with a high school diploma are eligible to apply for undergraduate programs;
a Bachelor’s degree for Master’s programs; and a Master’s degree for PhD programs.
(1) Requirements for Language Proficiency
1. Asia University offers degree programs conducted in either English or Chinese.
2. Applicants selecting programs taught in Chinese must submit Chinese proficiency certificate; whereas English proficiency certificate must br provided if applicants select programs taught in English.
3. Language proficiency is necessary to demonstrate adequate listening, reading, speaking, and writing ability at a certain level for university academic pursuit.
4. Applicants who select Chinese-taught programs must submit Chinese proficiency certificate; whereas English proficiency certificate must be provided if applicants select English-taught programs. Language proficiency is mandatory to demonstrate adequate listening, reading, speaking, and writing abilities at a certain level for university academic pursuit. A minimum score of paper-based TOEFL 500, computer-based TOEFL 173, internet-based TOEFL 61, TOEIC 600, or IELTS level 5 is required.
Applicants must take official ETS TOEFL test and authorize ETS to release his/her TOEFL scores to Asia University directly by completing and submitting the official score report request form to ETS, and the institution code is 2362. An exemption for English proficiency certificate may be granted if applicants have earned a diploma or degree in an English-speaking country.
+ For those who select Chinese-taught programs, new TOCFL Level 3, old TOCFL Learner Level, CEFR B2, new HSK Level 4, old HSK Level 6, or equivalent is the minimum level in Chinese proficiency.
+ For Vietnamese applicants who choose Chinese-taught programs, the Taipei Economic and Cultural Offices (TECO) in both Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City have announced new regulations starting from July 1st of 2012 that only TOCFL test results are accepted for visa application. For more detail information, please visit the official web site.
+ Malaysian applicants who intend to apply for undergraduate programs must submit Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) and/or Unified Examination Certificate (UEC) with at least a C-grade in Chinese Language Subject.
5. An exemption for English proficiency certificate may be granted if applicants have earned a diploma or degree in an English-speaking country. 6. Applicants who have received admission should submit one copy of their diploma and transcript verified (with official stamp/seal) by Taiwan Embassy, Consulate, or Taipei Economic & Culture Office (TECO) located in the country in which applicants reside.
(2) Requirements for Graduate Students:
1. Two application forms attached with a 2-inch recent photo.
2. One copy of the highest-level diploma (enclosed with a Chinese or an English translation of the diploma)
3. One official transcript (in English or Chinese) from the school you have attended.
4. Two letters of recommendation.
5. One study plan.
6. One health certificate issued within the last six months (attached HIV certification).
7. One copy of passport.
8. An original bank statement issued within six months clearly stating a balance.
9. The recept of application fee US$20.
10. English or Chinese proficiency certificate. New foreign students may come here to take Mandarin classes in Asia University before the beginning of each fall semester.
(3) Requirements for Undergraduate Students:
Besides the above 10 requirements for the master and PhD. Students, foreign students who wish to enter the undergraduate programs in Asia University are suggested to have a certain degree of proficiency in Mandarin (Chinese), including speaking and listening capabilities, because most of the undergraduate courses are taught in Mandarin.
|Intake||Application Deadlines||Course Begins||Announcement|
|Spring Semester||Jul 10 - Oct 31||February||2020/11/30|
|Fall Semester||Jan 25 - Mar 31||September||2021/5/30|
The submission deadlines of regular admission application for spring and fall semesters are listed below. Only online application will be accepted. Applicants who are unqualified or submit incomplete documentation in their application will be rejected. In general, applications received after the deadline will not be processed. Submitted materials are not returned. In the event of special cases, please directly contact our staff at email@example.com.