NTU's institutional predecessor was Taihoku Imperial University, founded in 1928 by the Japanese colonial administration. The first president was Shidehara Tan Tairaka Hiroshi. In 1945, the Republic of China won the war of resistance against Japan, and Taiwan was handed over to the Nationalist government of China. On November 15 of that year, Taihoku Imperial University was formally transferred to Chinese administration and renamed as National Taiwan University, with Dr. Tsung-lo Lo appointed as the first President.
Now, the university has 11 colleges, with 54 departments and 108 graduate institutes, plus over 50 national and university-level research centers. The total number of students, including those enrolled at the School of Professional and Continuing Studies, has grown to over 32,000, including over 17,000 university students and 15,000 graduate students.
Now, the number of graduate students at NTU almost equals the number of university students, which indicates that NTU has successfully been transformed into a research university. National Taiwan University (NTU) is Taiwan's flagship research institution. Committed to excellent for nine decades, the University has played a constructive role in Taiwan's remarkable transformation into a highly competitive economy and modern society.
A. Nationality: An individual of foreign nationality who has never held the status of an Overseas Chinese student on the date of application, and who complies with the “Regulations Regarding International Students Undertaking Studies in Taiwan” of the Ministry of Education (MOE). Please refer to the said regulations in Appendix 1.
B. Qualification: International students with a high school diploma are eligible to apply for undergraduate programs, a Bachelor’s degree for Master programs, and a Master’s degree for PhD programs.
1. Highest degree's graduation certificate If the graduation certificate is not in Chinese or English, a Chinese or English translation is required.
2. Highest degree's full transcript of records (including explanation of grading system) If the transcript is not in Chinese or English, a Chinese or English translation is required
3. Receipt of the application fee payment
4. Declaration and Authorization Form
5. Financial statement A bank statement showing at least NT$200,000 (US$6,000) in savings deposit. Scholarship awardees shall provide proof of scholarship.
6. Passport (if applicable)
7. Taiwan Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) (if applicable)
8. Photograph In color and less than 6 months old, showing a close-up shot of the head and shoulders, and without wearing a hat.
|Intake||Application Deadlines||Course Begins||Announcement|
|Fall Semester||Jan 05 - Feb 25||September||April 16, 2021, 4 pm|
|Spring Semester||Aug 03 - Dec 18||February||February 4, 2021, 4 pm|
Apply directly through National Taiwan University's Office of International Affairs. Under “Additional regulation,” if the department does not ask for any hard-copy, the application does not need to mail any. Just upload all the required documents to the system If the department specific ask for hard copy, please mail relevant document to the department directly.
(1) Applicants can apply for only one account in the online application system (http://admissions.oia.ncku.edu.tw/). Applicants with more than one account would be taken as invalid.
(2) Once the online application is confirmed and submitted, applicants cannot change the application information or the departments/institutes to which they applied.
(3) Applicants may apply for at most two departments/institutes, and at most only one group within a/an department/institute.
(4) Applicants may choose only one program to study if he/she is admitted.
(5) Late, ineligible, or incomplete applications will not be processed. Moreover, no application documents will be returned for any reason. Please make copies for yourself if needed. The application fee is nonrefundable.
Our mission is to move every student closer to day one at the college that’s right for them.
With the most current and complete profiles of every college in the United States, a multi-billion dollar scholarship database, advanced matching algorithms, and direct connections with colleges, we get students from wherever they are now to their first day on campus.